Thursday, January 21, 2010

English Defence League.

(or WTF is Democracy, WTF does 'English' mean and WTF is there to defend?)

I'm sure the EDL would say they are 'defending' English culture but I fail to see how an insignificant group of homogenous white males can hope to 'defend' something as nebulous and indefinable as a culture by holding a few rallies.

What is being missed in this debate is the apparent worship of the British Armed Forces and their ongoing mission in Afghanistan. It may be perfectly legitimate to 'support our troops'. I however do not. Neither do I believe that the UK has any chance of becoming a 'Sharia State' unless there is basically some kind of coup or mass conversion to some medieval form of Islam. I guess if this happens it would be supported by the greater mass of the British public anyway, so: what is it to 'defend' democracy and 'English values'?

Back to my point in that I fail to see what impact if any having troops in a foreign land would have on the possibility of a 'Sharia Britain'. Nil I would say.

I also find the underlying tone that those who do not 'support our troops' automatically support the Taliban. I would like to state that I support neither and that I find it deeply suspicious on the part of the EDL to somehow suggest that I do (albeit indirectly, maybe the EDL have zero sense of subtlety). These slurs also go against my 'democratic' right to an opinion of my own,no matter how popular or unpopular that opinion may be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home