Tuesday, December 13, 2011

To the BBC..

During the recent coverage of the protests in Russia against the election result it was described that "Ordinary middle class voters" also protested.

I am assuming this was alongside opposition politicians, Communists and Anarcho-Syndicalists as the wording assumed that many Russians had not protested before and were generally non-political. This I can agree with but describing them as 'middle class' is obviously an error and I think this indicates a bias against working class Russians and the 'working class' in general. Again, this seemed to imply that only those protestors carrying Communist (hammer and sickle) or Anarcho-Syndicalist (red and black) flags either were or considered themselves to be working class Russians.

Now, my Dad went to university. I went to university. I suppose that makes me 'middle class'. I also have Anarcho-Syndicalist views. Does that specifically make me 'working class'?

I consider myself working class because when I was younger I relied on my parents for clothing, when I was older I took out a grant to subsidise my living expenses when I was a student, I also had to borrow money to live on as the grant wasn't big enough. Later I had to go on the dole and claim housing benefit while I looked for work. I had a couple of jobs but then I got ill. Being disabled and still having no land or capital and relying on the state or those with land or capital for sustenance/a job I still consider myself working class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home