Sunday, February 19, 2012

I write on behalf of myself and all others in this country and around the world who suffer harrasment for their political beliefs.

My story started Thursday week before last on recieving a note from Staffordshire Police, specifically 'Community Resilience Team North'.

I had no idea what the note was about, I have not commited any crimes nor have I considered or planned to commit any crimes or incited others to do so. After several attempts to get through to the officer named on the card I eventually got through last Saturday.

Still not knowing what this was all about, on arrival in my property on Monday morning two officers asked me what I and my associates had been up to recently. I am a part of the wider and local anarchist movement and the officers seemed strangely concerned that this would somehow scare or 'terrorise' the wider community. Basically I had a visit from the police because of my political beliefs.

My political beliefs are non-violent, non-coercive and frankly none of the police or anyone else's business, but the visit left me quite nervous and frustrated that I had to explain what anarchism is to the police: there are such things as books and websites and the dictionary gives a pretty good description of what anarchists believe,being voluntary order as opposed to anarchy being described as chaos and disorder.

I may not agree with the majority of the population on a variety of issues but this does not mean that people should allow fear and ignoranceto rule their lives, neither does this give the media and the state the right to perpetuate fear and ignorance. Frankly, the governent and the police are the real terrorists by allowing a climate of fear of the unknown and of minorities to dominate the political discourse.

There is little difference in reality between democratic and non-democratic systems, all perpetuate themeselves so long as a majority ofthe people feel safe and secure, it is always minorities who are targeted: the government can oppress some of the people some of the time but it cannot oppress all the people all of the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home